The Sprague Library Archives is a repository for many of the documents relating to the history of Montclair State College/University and is available for reference and research by administrators, faculty, students, alumni and other interested parties.
The Sprague Library Archives welcomes donations relating to the history of Montclair State College/University, College High School, or the Panzer College of Physical Education. Please see the policy for donation of materials below:
Donors must also complete a Deed of Gift form available below:
Before sending a donation, please contcact Paul Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (973) 655-3465
The Archives are located in Room 029 in the Multimedia Department (lower level) of the Harry A. Sprague Library. There is also a Reading Room to view items on the upper floor -- Room 219.
Access is by appointment. Please contact Paul Martinez: 973 655-3465 or the Reference Department: 973-655-4291
Please see the Archives Use Policy.
This is a postcard of College Hall which can be seen in the MSU Buildings Collection. The postcard is undated, but the School was renamed Montclair State Teachers College in 1927, so the postcard is probably from before that date.
The Library collects and maintains the following resources in the Sprague Library Archives:
- All documents related to the history of Sprague Library, including publications, annual reports, publicity releases, newspaper clippings and photographs
- Montclair State Catalogs – Undergraduate, Graduate and Summer Session (Shelved in the Archives Reading Room - Room 219.)
- Montclair State Masters Theses and Doctoral Dissertations (Shelved in the Archives Reading Room - Room 219.)
- Board of Trustees Minutes
- University Senate Minutes
- Annual Reports of the President of Montclair State University
- Student newspapers, yearbook and literary publications
- Staff newsletters
- Alumni Magazine
- Commencement Programs
- Middle States reports, including Self-Study reports
- Selected documents that relate to the history of Montclair State University, including newspaper clippings, publicity releases and photographs
The following are not actively collected:
- Publications, including newsletters and annual reports, of individual Colleges, Schools, Departments and Administrative Units
- Publications of individual faculty members, staff or administrators, including journal articles, reports, personal papers or photographs, unless they relate to the history of Montclair State