The Sprague Library Archives is a repository for many of the documents relating to the history of Montclair State College/University and is available for reference and research by administrators, faculty, students, alumni and other interested parties.
The Archives are located in Room 029 in the Multimedia Department (lower level) of the Harry A. Sprague Library.
Access is by appointment. Please contact Paul Martinez: 973 655-3465 or the Reference Department: 973-655-4291
Yearbooks, Course Catalogs, Doctoral Dissertations, and Masters Theses are shelved in the Reference Department on the first floor.
Please see the Archives Use Policy.
This is a postcard of College Hall which can be seen in the MSU Buildings Collection. The postcard is undated, but the School was renamed Montclair State Teachers College in 1927, so the postcard is probably from before that date.
The Library collects and maintains the following resources in the Sprague Library Archives:
- All documents related to the history of Sprague Library, including publications, annual reports, publicity releases, newspaper clippings and photographs
- Montclair State Catalogs – Undergraduate, Graduate and Summer Session (Also available in the Reference Dept.)
- Montclair State Masters Theses and Doctoral Dissertations (Shelved in the Reference Dept.)
- Board of Trustees Minutes
- University Senate Minutes
- Annual Reports of the President of Montclair State University
- Student newspapers, yearbook and literary publications
- Staff newsletters
- Alumni Magazine
- Commencement Programs
- Middle States reports, including Self-Study reports
- Selected documents that relate to the history of Montclair State University, including newspaper clippings, publicity releases and photographs
The following are not actively collected:
- Publications, including newsletters and annual reports, of individual Colleges, Schools, Departments and Administrative Units
- Publications of individual faculty members, staff or administrators, including journal articles, reports, personal papers or photographs, unless they relate to the history of Montclair State
October, 2013: A searchable collection of Montclair State course catalogs from 1909 to 2007 have been added to our digital collections. The catalogs are listed by the institution's name (New Jersey State Teacher's College, Montclair State College, Montclair State University, etc.) here.
October, 2012: The Office of Alumni Relations donated some wonderful items. Stop by the Archives Room and see freshmen “dink” caps from the 60’s, scrapbooks from the 30’s, and club pins from the 20’s.
March, 2011: There was an Archives Exhibit on display in the lobby of the Sprague Library.
March, 2011: Montclair State Yearbooks are now online!
April, 2010: The Sprague Library Archives officially opened on April 14. 2010. Cilck here to see photographs from the Opening ceremony.